Policies & Procedures - Pet Care Services
1. Visits: We offer several types of services: Drop-In Visit, Dog Walking, Night- Cap visit, and Cat/Other Care.
Drop-In Visit/Dog Walking - typically 30 minutes in length. Visits may go over or under by five minutes. Visit times start upon entry into the home and ends when sitter secures home upon departure. All entry/exit time is part of the scheduled visit length. Visit times will fall within a two hour time window. If your pet needs a specific time due to medical conditions, we will do our best to honor that time but cannot guarantee it.
Night-Cap Visit - about 10 minutes in length. A quick visit to have your pet relieve themselves.
Cat/Other Care Visit - Visit lengths vary depending on amount of service needed. We require your cats and other animals to be visited once daily to make sure there are no health or home issues.
2. Meet & Greet: Once your dates are determined, a meet and greet must be made for first-time clients. This allows us to become familiar with you and your pets and to set up your customized pet sitting services. We ask that all required forms are completed prior to our arrival. There is no charge for the consultation which typically lasts between 30-45 minutes. Additional meetings will incur a charge of $25 per visit.
3. Reservations: It is best to make reservations in advance once you’ve secured your travel plans. Reservations can be made via phone, text, email, or through your online client account (Time To Pet). Services will be scheduled with your primary pet sitter whenever they are available. When the primary pet sitter is not available, requested services will be scheduled with a secondary sitter to ensure there is no gap in coverage. Last minute bookings, less than 24 hours, are accepted but there is no guarantee a spot will be available. A fee of $5/per visit is charged for last minute requests.
4. Payment: Bird Dog Brigade accepts cash, check, Venmo, or Paypal. For Paypal please use the friends and family option for service type. Additional fees may occur if other service types are used. Payment is promptly due on the last day of service. A finance charge of 1.5% per month will be added for unpaid balances after 14 days. There will be a $25 service charge for returned checks.
5. Keys: Key arrangements will be made at the meet & greet. We encourage the use of a lockbox for keys. This will provide security for the key, keep within your possession, stay on premises in case a back-up sitter is needed, and provide an alternative to garage codes in case of power outages. If a lockbox is not used, keys will be picked up at the first visit. An extra visit to pick up keys may incur additional costs. Garage codes are acceptable. We ask you to provide us with our own code for security purposes. If the premises are equipped with an alarm system, please let us know. A separate code for Bird Dog Brigade is best for security purposes.
6. Cancellations: We understand that things happen that cause plans to change. Once we have scheduled and confirmed your appointment, a fee may apply for cancellations to compensate pet sitters for the time set aside. Dog walking cancellations will be refunded in full if notified by 8 a.m. the morning of the walk. Acts of God will be credited in full (snowfall, thunderstorms, natural disaster, excessive heat or cold.) We will try and reschedule for another day or time, if available. Drop-Ins and night-cap cancellations need to be given notice 24 hours in advance of the time of visit to receive a full refund.
7. Extended Absence: In the event you have to be away longer than planned, it is mandatory that we hear from you. We will only accept extensions of service by direct communication.
8. Early return: If you return from your trip within 48 hours of your scheduled return you will be charged the full cost of your trip.
9. Holidays: The following periods will be considered holidays. An extra fee is charged during these times.
New Year’s Day - Jan 1, 2023
Easter - Apr 9, 2023
Mother's Day - May 14, 2023
Memorial Day - May 29, 2023
Father's Day - June 18, 2023
Independence Day - July 4, 2023
Labor Day - Sept 4, 2023
Thanksgiving weekend - Nov 23-24, 2023
Christmas Eve & Christmas Day - Dec 24-25, 2023
New Year’s Eve - Dec 31, 2023
10. Inclement Weather: In the event of inclement weather, Bird Dog brigade will use its best judgment in caring for your pets. Please provide us with the name and number of two people living close by. If we are physically unable to reach your home due to impassable roads we will contact one of these people for assistance. The health and well-being of your pet is our greatest concern. We will keep in close contact with you during this period. All snow and ice removal is the responsibility of the client.
11. “Comfort calls”: You may call Bird Dog Brigade between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily to check on your pets during your absence. Since we are often with other pets, please leave a message and we will call back as soon as possible. We will provide regular updates via text or email to keep you informed on how your pet is doing.
12. “I’m home calls”: Please remember to call or text when you have returned home safely. We want to ensure that your pet is taken care of in case you have not returned.
13. Visitors: Please notify Bird Dog Brigade if others (housekeeper, friends, other family members, repair person) will have access to your home while away. It is understood that the owner will notify anyone with access to the home that Bird Dog Brigade’s services have been obtained. Visitors should leave a log of their visit and clients must sign a waiver indicating the pet sitter is not responsible for any damage that may occur to the pet or home since others have access to the home and pets. We will not service visiting pets to the home without prior knowledge.
14. Unsecured pet: Bird Dog Brigade will not be responsible for any free-roaming or outdoor pet in the event of illness, injury, loss, or death. It is strongly advised that all pets have some form of ID and that they remain inside or are confined to your yard while you are away.
15. Pet Proofing: It is the pet owner’s sole responsibility to “pet-proof” any area of the home the pet has access to. The pet sitter does not assume responsibility and has no liability for any injuries the pet sustains or property damage the pet causes while in their own home.
16. Vaccinations/Medications: The owner understands and agrees that by leaving their pet in our care that we rely on the client’s representation that all pets have been vaccinated, as required by law, and are in good health. Proof of rabies vaccination may be requested at the initial consultation. Please disclose any medical issues at the initial consultation no matter how insignificant they may be. Bird Dog Brigade will attempt to administer medications as directed but is not liable for complications that arise as a result. Bird Dog Brigade will not provide service for any pet that has any form of a contagious illness.
17. Photos: Bird Dog Brigade is granted permission by the client to take pictures of their pets to use for marketing purposes.
18. Damages: We are not responsible for damages or loss to your home beyond our control (leaks, electrical problems, acts of nature, burglary, etc.). In such cases, we will contact you immediately before taking action to resolve the issue. If your pet sitter damages something in your home please contact Bird Dog Brigade immediately. Bird Dog Brigade is also not responsible for wilted, dead, or unhealthy plants. We will do our best to follow any written directions left but will not be responsible for unfavorable results.
19. Damages by pets: The owner will be responsible for all medical expenses and damages resulting from an injury to us or other people by owner’s pet. Owner agrees to indemnify, hold harmless, and defend us, the pet sitter, in the event of a claim by the injured. In the event another animal is bitten by the owner’s pet or exposed to any disease from the owner’s pet, it is the owner’s responsibility to pay all medical related costs incurred by the victim.
20. Medical Emergencies: If a client’s pet becomes ill under our care, the client authorizes us to transport the pet to their veterinarian. Every effort will be made to contact the client or the emergency contact to approve any emergency treatment. Client’s are responsible for payment of all medical bills.
21. Pet and house clean up: Bird Dog Brigade will properly dispose of pet waste and do our best to clean up any accidents that may occur. Bird Dog Brigade is not responsible for any carpet or floor stains created by your pet. We do request you notify us the location of your cleaning products.
22. Unforeseen purchases: Although we ask you to have a large supply of food, litter, and cleaning supplies available, an unforeseen purchase may be needed. We will retain the receipt and it is the responsibility of the client to reimburse Bird Dog Brigade within 14 days of return home.
23. Fences: Bird Dog Brigade does not accept responsibility or liability for any pet that escapes or becomes injured or lost when instructed to leave the client’s animals in a fenced area. This includes electronic, wood, metal or any type of fence. The use of invisible fences is at the risk of the client. Bird Dog Brigade is not responsible for any injury, loss, or death that resulted from us being instructed to use an invisible fence. NO pets will be left by Bird Dog Brigade unsupervised between visits in an invisible fence or tied in your yard. If anyone visiting your pet leaves your pet in an invisible fence or tied in your yard, Bird Dog Brigade is NOT responsible for any injury, loss, or death of your pet that may occur.
If you do not wish to agree to any of these statements please bring it to our attention before completing the service agreement. Please refrain from making alterations or entering your own wording as it will void the contract.